Back in October 2010, I posted a link explaining Phase 1 of our photovoltaic system.
Back in August 2013, we completed Phase 2 of our system. Here’s what it looks like:
These are nine new ground mounted 230 watt capacity panels connected to the same inverter to which the original six 230 panels are connected. Below is a picture of what our inverter looks like with the charge controllers from each of our two arrays on either side. The charge controller for our Phase 2 array is the one on the left and the one for the original array is on the right.
The total capacity of our system is now 3.45 kilowatts. With our net metering interconnection with Mon Power, we are now able to produce enough electricity to completely offset the electricity we buy at night and when the sun isn’t shining.
In fact, our expanded system now produces electricity even on the cloudiest days at the darkest time of year. Today, December 8, we had constant rain or snow and our system still produced 1.5 kilowatt hours. On sunny days in September, we produced 19 kwh per day, almost enough electricity to cover three days of our normal consumption. Our last two electric bills “zeroed out” our electric usage, and we have a small carryover of kwh credits into the next month.
If you are interested in installing your own power generation system, post a comment on this post and I’ll answer any questions you may have.
Our plan was to buy our panels in two stages, because we figured the price of panels was falling so quickly that we would save a lot of money. We did. The new panels we installed in August 2013 were half the price of the panels we installed in October 2010.